From the Blog
At the first sign of a cold, I put one drop of the essential oil blend, Thieves, on the soles of my feet before bed, keep the diffuser pumping throughout the house with essential oil blends such as Purification, Eucalyptus Radiata, Lemon, Peppermint or Thieves, and take regular doses of the Head Cold Complex and Bulletproof, my flower essence blend. It’s important to ensure plenty of rest and a good, clean diet with minimal sugar and dairy. During recovering, I take Rocket Fuel to assist with recovery and returning to normal energy levels.
The Head Cold Complex supplied by Owen Homoeopathics is an excellent all-rounder. It contains remedies that are useful at the first stages of illness – the blocked nose, the profuse sneezing, or the runny nose; the sore and sensitive throat or the frontal headache. This complex may also help shorten the length of head colds, assist with expelling excess mucous, and relieve rattly coughs, ear aches caused by congestion and sore throats1.
Another remedy that we use frequently in our household is Ferrum Phos. It is the remedy I go to when I notice one of the children is ‘off colour’. It is very helpful during the first stage of a head cold, sore throat, mild fever or tonsillitis1. It boosts the body’s vital force to power up and beat the invader. In many cases the illness never eventuates in it’s true form.
For more homeopathic remedies to help you through a head cold, check out this factsheet.
Australian Bush Flower Essences:
Australian Bush Flower Essences can help with cold symptoms by relieving the pain of a sore throat, boosting your immune system and stimulating the body’s defence mechanism, the lymphatics. Emergency Essence can help with the pain and discomfort of a head cold3,a as well as any irritability, while Bulletproof can assist with kick-starting the immune system to work optimally. Don't forget that Sizzled Bits can assist with managing temperatures or fevers but supporting your body through high temperatures and dehydration.
If you find that your head cold starts with frequent sneezing, Sneezy Wheezy is a great first line of defence. It can help reduce the amount of sneezing and expulsion of mucous.
Calm Your Farm can help if the head cold is a result of feeling stressed and run down prior to the cold. Especially effective on children is Jacaranda in the case when the child gets sick when they are too scattered with their energy, and Paw Paw helps with children who get sick when overwhelmed. Both of these essences are in Calm Your Farm essence.
Young Living Essential Oils:
Diffusing essential oils is a fantastic way to purify the air to help prevent the cold from spreading to other members of the family. Studies have shown that diffusing Thieves for just 20 minutes can kill up to 99% of airborne micro-organisms!
Because Thieves is a blend of the most effective anti-viral, anti-septic, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial essential oils, it can be used in a number of ways to prevent and reduce the severity of head colds:
One drop on the soles of your feet and rubbing your feet together is an excellent preventative measure and a good idea when sending little ones off to school or daycare to provide protection against illness.
1-2 drops on a cotton wool ball under a pillow when sleeping at night, or in the vent of a car or air-conditioner.
Make your own chest rub and apply to your chest, neck and soles of the feet. I use this recipe from Natural New Age Mum and then added Thieves for an extra kick. This chest rub can even be used for foot massages, concentrating on the areas of congestion using a reflexology chart. Please note that this remedy is not recommended for children under two years of age due to possible irritations of the oils.
Another excellent blend from Young Living designed to help strengthen immunity is ImmuPower4. This can be diffused, or diluted for a body massage.
1. Get plenty of rest.
2. Eat a clean diet of a range of fruit and vegetables that contain help anti-oxidants and vitamin C like oranges, lemons, grapefruit, strawberries, blueberries, corn, red capsicum and broccoli.
3. Keep fluid intake as high as possible.
4. Consume fermented/cultured food and drinks such as kefir, sauerkraut, cultured vegetables etc to assist your gut in fighting the virus.
5. Always wash hands after blowing or wiping your nose, and try to sneeze in to the corner of your elbow instead of your hands to reduce spreading the virus.
6. Consume bone broth whenever possible as this will also help you maintain a healthy gut to fight off infection.
7. A fortnightly dose of Anas Barb 200c as a preventative during the cold and flu season. Suitable for children too.
8. Martin & Pleasance have a range of tissue salts formulated for children. In the case of Head Colds, the Pain & Fever Ease and the Cough & Cold Relief are a quick and easy way to support children's bodies through a cold. These chewable tablets are suitable for children from birth and can be crushed and mixed through food. I find the Cough & Cold Relief tablets particularly helpful if the child's sickness lingers and there seems to be a lot of mucous still to expel after the cold has passed.
Owen, J. (2010). Homoeopathy for the home prescriber. Western Australia, AUSTRALIA: QDirect.
Brauer. (2013). Baby & Child Cold & Flu. Retrieved May 11, 2014, from https://www.brauer.com.au.
White, I. (2009). Happy Healthy Kids. From conception to age 7 with Australian Bush Flower Essences. Crows Nest, NSW: Allen & Unwin.
Young Living Essential Oils. (2011). Essential Oils Pocket Reference (5th ed.). United States of America: Life Science Publishing.
This blog is not intended to replace the service of a qualified practitioner. Any application of the recommendations set forth in this blog is at the reader’s discretion and sole risk.