From the Blog
I personally feel that pain and discomfort in the body usually indicates a much deeper issue within the body, whether that is physical or psychological. We all know that stress and worry can bring on tension headaches, and when we feel our back or neck is out of alignment, we can often experience headaches as a result. Treating headaches naturally can be tricky and involve trial and error. It's a good idea to track or keep notes on your headaches, if this is a recurrent issue for you, and try to establish any triggers - food, environmental toxins, personal products, hormones, etc.
The Simplest Remedy stocks many products that can help you ease the pain of a headache without overloading your body with more chemicals and toxins to process. These products ignite your body's natural healing powers to block pain, excrete toxins and increase oxygen levels in the body so that you can get back to feeling like your old self.
Taking the correct remedy at the first sign of a headache, can stop it from developing further. However, in the event that the pain is well established, an hourly dose of your chosen remedy may be needed for several doses.
* Arnica: Bruised, achey feeling especially after a bump to the head. Sharp pain worse from stooping.
* Belladonna: Throbbing and congestion, pupils dilated, face flushed. Worse in the sun or from jarring or sudden movement.
* Bryonia: Bruised, sharp, stabbing pain. Much worse from movement, even just the eyes. Better from pressure and lying quietly in a dark room. I have used this remedy many times with great relief.
* Calc Phos: A great remedy for children who are experiencing headaches. Especially at times of rapid growth. There may be fatigue, tummy aches and leg pains. May be whiny, bored and discontented, and crave salty foods.
* Gelsemium: Dull, congestive headache and a heavy, drowsy feeling. Tight band around the head especially across the forehead.
* Kali Bic: Sinus headache. Pain over the eyebrows or under the eyes, especially the right side. Bones of the head sore. Worse from cold and better from pressure. This remedy is the Sinus Complex as well.
* Kali Phos: Headache from study, stress and overstrain of the nervous system. A great tonic for students, school children and intellectual types.
* Nat Mur: Hammering headache with tears and watery discharge from the nose. Misty vision or zig-zag lights accompany the headache.
* Nux Vomica: Frontal headache with piercing pain and tension in the neck especially after over-work, late nights or over-indulgence.
* Headache Complex: Contains Belladonna and other remedies that have not been listed about but have been used traditionally to treat headaches.
For more information and remedies on headaches, read Owen Homoeopathics Headache Factsheet.
Australian Bush Flower Essences:
At the first sign of headache for me, I usually go straight for Emergency Essence. If it's really bad, I will put a dose in my drinking water and sip it throughout the day while I take other measures. You may find it effective for the headache after a fall or a bump to the head, otherwise Tall Yellow Top essence in the Adol combination may relieve the headache associated with neck pain.
If you think your headache is a result of something you ate, or due to constipation, Purifying Essence will help eliminate toxins and relieve digestive upsets.
If you'd like a flower essence blend personalised for your needs, you can contact me here.
Studies have shown essential oils to be very effective in blocking pain from headaches relating to tension. They also promote circulation, reduce muscle spasms and decrease the body's inflammatory response, therefore relieving your headache. The following oils can relieve various headaches as listed below:
Stress/Tension Headache: Clove, Copaiba, Lavender, Peppermint, Brain Power, Deep Relief Roll-on, M-Grain, PanAway, Peace and Calming, Stress Away, Valor, Wintergreen.
Migraine: Basil, Copaiba, Lavender, Peppermint, PanAway, M-Grain, Stress Away.
Sinus Headache: Eucalyptus radiata, Lavender, Peppermint, Breathe Again Roll-on, Stress Away.
Looking at the oils above, your best bet with headache relief would be with Lavender, Peppermint, PanAway, M-Grain or Stress Away. Valor is another excellent oil which comes highly recommended for headaches resulting in misalignment - the headaches after you've slept in an awkward position, or you've overdone it, physically. It is nicknamed, "The Chiropractor in a bottle" so is another handy oil to have on hand. I personally have had incredible relief from M-Grain. I place one drop on the crown of my head and instantly I can feel the tension and pain melt away. I've recently attached an AromaGlide on my bottle so I can roll it quickly and neatly to my temples and back of my neck.
Other applications for these oils includes diffusing for half an hour every 4-6 hours, placing 2-3 drops in the palm of your hand, rub it together and inhale throughout the day as needed, 1-2 drops on the soles of your feet allows quick absorption throughout the whole body, or dilute 50/50 with a vegetable oil and gently massage around the hairline, back of the neck, across the forehead and any other problem areas.
As I mentioned, headaches have plagued me for many years. I am currently working with a professional to sort out hormonal headaches I've been experiencing since having children. This is something I'm discovering to be very common in many women and can cause regular discomfort at various stages in their cycle. The relief I have found thus far has been promising so I encourage other women in the same boat to do the same. I've also noticed a decrease in regular headaches since I commenced monthly chiropractic treatments to ensure I am in alignment and not burdening my body with strain for long periods at a time. And thirdly, since making a conscious effort to eat a cleaner diet, I believe I have reduced the instances where food intolerance has caused an inflammatory reaction in my body resulting in a headache.
Headaches can be very individual and a result from any number of causes which can seem overwhelming at times. However you owe it to yourself to get to the bottom of your pain and discomfort so you can go on and live the life you want to! Check out our Headache Action Plan below and please see a professional health care provided if your symptoms continue.
Other Tips and Ideas:
* Heat packs can help relieve tension and relax muscles to relieve headaches.
* Cold washer on the forehead can help constrict blood vessels which may relieve the ache of a headache.
* Ensure your body is hydrated by drinking plenty of water.
* Stress can cause tension headaches and migraines, so keeping your stress levels in check may also help relieve headaches.
* Chiropractic treatment can be of great benefit when dealing with ongoing or frequent headaches.
* Monitoring caffeine, sugar, gluten and dairy intake can help pinpoint if the headache is coming from diet.
* Reduce toxins in the environment by replacing cleaning products with natural remedies such as vinegar and bi-carb.
* Diet can initiate a headache or exacerbate symptoms so keep a close eye on how your body feels after eating. Sugar, eggs, grains and dairy are the main culprits.
1. Owen, J. (2010). Homoeopathy for the home prescriber. Western Australia, AUSTRALIA: QDirect.
2. White, I. (2009). Happy Healthy Kids. From conception to age 7 with Australian Bush Flower Essences. Crows Nest, NSW: Allen & Unwin.
3. Young Living Essential Oils. (2011). Essential Oils Pocket Reference (5th ed.). United States of America: Life Science Publishing.
4. Raybern, D. (2010). Gentle Babies. Essential Oils and Natural Remedies for Pregnancy, Childbirth, Infants and Young Children (3rd ed.). United States of America: Growing Healthy Homes LLC.
5. Wikipedia – Paracetamol. (n.d.). Retrieved July, 6, 2014, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paracetamol#Adverse_effects.
This blog is not intended to replace the service of a qualified practitioner. Any application of the recommendations set forth in this blog is at the reader’s discretion and sole risk.