From the Blog
A digestive system functioning under stress or strain can result in a number of health issues. Some experts believe that eczema, psoriasis, skin rashes, allergies, hay fever, food intolerances and headaches can all be the result of sluggish digestion. To see long-term relief and recovery from such illnesses generally requires a holistic approach, encompassing diet, stress levels, physical activity and environmental changes under the guidance of professional. The following remedies can alleviate acute symptoms and provide short-term relief.
- Allumina: No urge. Stool is soft, sticky and unformed but difficult to pass. Stool can also be hard and knotty.
- Argent Nit: Indicated for abdominal bloating and distension, especially in nervous, fearful types. The person craves sugar and sweets and feels much worse.
- Bryonia: May have no desire for days. Large, dry, hard stool which is painful to pass.
- Calc Carb: This person often feels better when constipated.
- Ipecac: Diarrhoea that occurs in spasms and is offencsive, yellow-green and frothy.
- Mercurius: Suits diarrhoea that is worse at night with great straining and ‘never done’ sensation. Sour smelling or offensive and never feels finished.
- Nux Vomica: Cramping pains that come on 2-3 hours after eating. Worse from over-indulgence in rich or spicy food or too much alcohol.
- Pulsatilla: Gas and rumbling. Stools are changeable in colour and frequency.
- Sulphur: Frequent desire but stool is hard, dry, burning and difficult to pass.
Homeopathic complexes, or blends, that can help:
- Constipation Complex: For sluggish digestion or irregular bowel movements. Contains Bryonia, Nux Vomica, Ferr Phos, Nat Mur, Calc Flour, Silica and Nat Sulph.
- Infant Constipation Complex: To help the development of an infant’s digestive tract if experiencing constipation. Contains Ferr Phos, Nat Mur, Calc Fluor, Silica and Nat Phos.
- Diarrhoea Complex: Designed to help relieve acute diarrhoea. Contains Arsenicum, Carbo Veg, Colocynthis, Podophyllum, and Veratrum Alb. The remedy, Podophyllum, can be helpful if you baby experiences diarrhoea during teething bouts.
- Haemorrhoid Complex: To help relieve the uncomfortable symptoms of haemorrhoids. Contains Aesculus, Calc Fluor, Ferr Phos, Hamamelis, Mag Phos, Nat Mur, Pulsatilla.
For more information on optimising your digestive system using Owen Homoeopathics, click here.
As mentioned in my Gastro & Other Stomach Upsets, Brauer has a very popular Stomach Calm, safe for babies from birth right up to children 12 years old. It has been designed to relieve diarrhoea, stomach ache, upset stomach as well as constipation, indigestion and reflux. Containing remedies likeCarbo Veg, Lycopodium, Nux Vomica, it is great place to start for young children and babies who can't communicate where the pain is coming from. I also like how this blend contains Podophylum which is an effective remedy when your baby experiences loose stools or diarrhoea with teething. Available from Family Life Organics in Townsville, as well as most chemists and some supermarkets.
Knowing the importance of gut health and the need for optimal digestion, I formulated Belly Bandaid to soothe the digestive system, and promote an inflammation-free gut. The Bottlebrush flower essence, found in my Belly Bandaid blend, is the essence for constipation and is very effective. It is also a good essence to remember when toilet training as it helps the child to take new steps and accept new phases of their life, which is why it also features in my Potty Potion blend.
Ultimately, a happy digestive system starts with the right foods. Working out which foods your body agrees and doesn't agree with can be challenging and time consuming. Working with a professional is always the best way to go. Gluten, soy, egg and dairy are often the main culprits to digestive issues (and other ailments), but many people find that benign foods such as bananas, or corn can also cause health issues. Including foods such as probiotics, bone broth and lots of green vegetables regularly in your diet, should be a measure everyone strives for. I like the following products because I trust their source and quality.
* Broth of Life Dehydrated Bone Broth: Such an easy way to introduce or increase your bone broth intake is with a dehydrated form of bone broth. You can add to sauces, marinades, salads and even smoothies! You may find some children will eat it from the jar!!
* Inflammation Ease Herbs: A blend of Chinese herbs to reduce inflammation throughout the body to improve circulation, digestion and the general feeling of being well. Sip as a tea, add to smoothies or sprinkle over your morning museli.
* All Natural Probiotics: These probiotics from Changing Habits are the real deal! They consist of a wide range of foods, cooked and left to ferment. This creates a probiotic colony of bacteria that work together and are recognisable to the body.
* Supreme Green Powder: We all know that we should eat more green foods but often don't. This powder was created by Changing Habits for anyone who isn't consuming as many green veggies as they should be, or want to. You can sneak this in to anything dark without it being detected - I add to bolognaise sauce, and anything chocolate such as chocolate pancakes.
* Camu Camu: A high potency Vitamin C powder that is derived from the camu camu berry. Very high in anti-oxidants and easily absorbed by our body as it has not been altered in a laboratory. If suffering from sluggish bowel movements, camu camu can help speed things up!
Other Wellness Tips:
1. Ensure you are well hydrated.
2. Increase the amount of fresh/raw foods in your diet, including plenty of greens, raw vegetables, dates, fruits and organic dried fruit.
3. Include fermented foods and ‘gut healing’ foods in your diet like kefir, kombucha, kimchi, sauerkraut, bone broth, or probiotics.
4. Get active! Regular exercise can have a very positive effect on digestion.
5. Keep a food diary and try and pin-point food/s that may be upsetting your digestion.
6. If chronic symptoms or vomiting or diarrhoea persist, especially in young children, seek medical attention, immediately.
1. Owen, J. (2010). Homoeopathy for the home prescriber. Western Australia, AUSTRALIA: QDirect.
2. White, I. (2009). Happy Healthy Kids. From conception to age 7 with Australian Bush Flower Essences. Crows Nest, NSW: Allen & Unwin.
3. Young Living Essential Oils. (2011). Essential Oils Pocket Reference (5th ed.). United States of America: Life Science Publishing.
4. Raybern, D. (2010). Gentle Babies. Essential Oils and Natural Remedies for Pregnancy, Childbirth, Infants and Young Children (3rd ed.). United States of America: Growing Healthy Homes LLC.
This blog is not intended to replace the service of a qualified practitioner. Any application of the recommendations set forth in this blog is at the reader’s discretion and sole risk.